In today’s world, making a few extra bucks each month can make all the difference for you and your family. Having a side hustle making $1,000+ per month allows you to pay off debts, save for retirement, and enjoy the lifestyle you deserve.
But most side hustles discussed in online circles are sponsored websites that pay advertisers to promote their platforms, making it very difficult to make any real money on these sites.
If you’re looking to make some extra money with a side hustle this year, this article is for you. We’ll discuss three secret websites to make money and how you can get started with a profitable side hustle to put more money in your pocket each month.
Why Start a Side Hustle?
If you’re reading this article, you probably already have your reasons for starting a side hustle. However, there are more underrated reasons why side hustles are the name of the game for anyone looking for some extra income.
First, a side hustle allows you to diversify your income streams. In addition to the benefits of supplemental income, side hustles provide a second stream of revenue as a cushion in case you lose your full-time job. This helps with financial stability so you’re not depending on the paycheck from your 9 to 5 gig.
Additionally, side hustles allow you to learn new skills and build them over time. These skills can be highly valuable and lead to additional projects and sources of revenue down the line. Whether you want to learn skills in marketing, finance, entrepreneurship or other areas, starting a side hustle allows you to become highly valuable in a wide range of fields.
Side hustles are often passion projects, where you’re able to start a small business around your hobbies or interests that may not typically be seen as financially viable. Using online market research tools, you’re able to determine whether there’s a demand for your business idea before investing in startup costs.
Drawbacks of Side Hustles
While side hustles can provide tons of benefits for entrepreneurs and freelancers, there are still some downsides to consider before getting started:
- Time Commitment: Most YouTubers won’t tell you this, but the truth is that starting a profitable side hustle isn’t always easy. After all, if it was that easy, wouldn’t everyone be doing it? Expect to put in a significant amount of time with your side hustle before seeing a steady stream of income.
- Burnout: Given the time commitment and the timeline for profitability, many new side hustlers experience burnout and stop putting in the work necessary for success. New entrepreneurs should expect to put in long hours after working their primary job if they want a successful side hustle.
- Startup Costs: Like any business, side hustles require startup costs. This may include a website, software programs, and technical equipment. Make sure you budget the costs for your side hustle before getting started.
- Risky Ventures: Some side hustles are risky and have a high chance of failure. While this shouldn’t be a deterrent for getting started, it’s important to understand that most side hustles fail and to take steps to make sure you’re not one of them.
- Tax Complexities: Starting a side hustle and making extra income introduces tax planning issues. Some of the secret websites to make money hire you as an independent contractor and give you a 1099 form for filing taxes each year, so be sure to consult with a tax professional before starting your side hustle.
3 Secret Websites to Make Money this Year
Now that you know the benefits and drawbacks of starting a side hustle in today’s economy, let’s get into the secret websites that will actually make you money this year.
Pros of Taskrabbit:
- Schedule flexibility
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks
- Potential for consistent extra income
- Ability to network with clients
- Build reviews and ratings on your profile to attract more work
Cons of Taskrabbit:
- High competition
- Unpredictable income
- Safety concerns
- No company benefits
- Platform fees
Our top choice for one of the secret websites to make money is Taskrabbit. The website specializes in outsourcing general tasks like furniture assembly, home cleaning, TV mounting, heavy lifting, and more.
Contractors, called “Taskers”, set their own prices and have profiles detailing their skills and past reviews from customers. Taskers enjoy a flexible work schedule that allows them to be their own boss with the freedom and support needed for success on the platform.
Getting started on Taskrabbit is a super easy process. New users will create an account and download the Tasker app to confirm their registration. Then Taskers must build their profile by selecting the services they want to offer and their primary location.
Keep in mind that Taskers must pay a $25 registration fee to sign up. Additionally, previous reviews from Taskers indicate that most work is available in major cities, which means small towns away from metropolitan areas may have a tough time finding consistent work on Taskrabbit.
How Much Can You Make on Taskrabbit?
How much you make on Taskrabbit depends on the amount of work you accept and your hourly rate. Taskers just getting started may find that their rates must be priced lower than their competition in order to get reviews to eventually charge higher rates.
According to Indeed, average earnings on Taskrabbit range from $25,000 to $198,000 per year. Keep in mind these are averages and can vary based on a range of factors like your location, rates, and the type of tasks performed.
Pros of Fiverr:
- Thousands of potential customers on the platform
- Building a freelance portfolio and name recognition
- Work with high-quality brands and influencers
- No outbound marketing required to land clients
- Potential for high earnings
Cons of Fiverr:
- High competition for in-demand services
- No control over the algorithm and attracting work
- Poor customer service
- Low earnings when starting out on the platform
- Inconsistent income
- No long-term contracts
- Low-quality clients in the beginning
While Fiverr has been around for quite some time and may not traditionally be considered one of the secret websites to make money, many people are still unaware that nearly any type of skill or service can be sold on the platform. Whether it’s therapy, copywriting, social media marketing, graphic design, voiceovers, or unboxing videos, there’s still plenty of opportunity to succeed on Fiverr.
Fiverr also handles all the client outreach so you don’t need to spend any time marketing your services on the platform. Sounds great, right?
Well, the only issue is that you have no control over your marketing efforts and become a slave to the algorithm that lists you in the search results. You’re competing with thousands of other freelancers for many services on Fiverr, which means being on page 47 of the search results all but guarantees you’ll have very few orders.
Additionally, Fiverr income can be inconsistent. You may be on page one for 2 months and then all of a sudden be removed and sent back to page 47. This means that Fiverr isn’t typically a consistent source of income.
How Much Can You Make on Fiverr?
I started offering copywriting services on Fiverr and have made $20,000 on the platform. However, things started off very slow for me and I made only $400 in the first 6 months. Slowly but surely, I started building my profile with reviews and attracting higher paying customers, which allowed me to grow my income significantly.
Many of the top Fiverr freelancers make over $300,000 per year but have been building their online presence for years. New freelancers should expect their earnings to vary drastically based on the type of service they offer and how quickly they can generate reviews.
Pros of Kartra:
- All-in-one platform with one monthly subscription
- Landing page templates and lead capture forms
- Advanced email marketing and lead management
- Additional features like webinars, quizzes, and surveys
Cons of Kartra:
- No inbound marketing features
- Limited lead storage for large businesses
- Monthly subscription can be high for beginners
Do you have a skill or valuable information you want to teach others and share with the world? Well, Kartra is one of the best online course platforms for creators. Whether you’re a coach, consultant, digital entrepreneur, or industry expert, Kartra gives you all the tools you need to host an online course or membership program and sell it to your audience.
Kartra is simply the best all-in-one online course platform on the market. This means that you can host your entire online business within Kartra for one monthly subscription (starting at $99/mo).
Kartra allows you to upload your online course content to its user-friendly platform with advanced customization features like drip content and personalized color schemes. Creators can also use Kartra Pages to design stunning landing pages to send their audience when marketing their courses.
Perhaps the best feature of Kartra is its ability to store your leads and start email marketing sequences to convert them into paying customers. Users will create marketing campaigns to collect leads and then nurture them over time with email in case they aren’t ready to buy right away.
However, setting up your online business within Kartra can be time-consuming and may take weeks. But after your online course or membership program is set up, all you’ll need to do is maintain your Kartra account and add new content as needed.
How Much Can You Make on Kartra?
Simply put, the earning potential on Kartra is unlimited. Those who want to get started on the platform should have a solid understanding of the digital marketing methods used to promote online courses and how to do effective email marketing.
Out of the three websites we mentioned in this article, we believe Kartra is the best choice for anyone looking to start and grow an online business. They give you all the tools to host your online course and market it to an audience for passive and consistent income.
However, those looking for manual work in major cities will find that Taskrabbit can be a stable source of income once you’re up and running on the platform.
Related: How to Create Effective Lead Magnets
Trending: G Wagon Tax Write-Off